Mission and values
Our mission is simply stated, but harder to achieve: “To make organizations better at building, maintaining, and running complex software systems”. Even as we pursue this mission, we make sure not to lose sight of our core values:
- Reminding each other of these values, giving feedback as needed.
- Setting and changing priorities as the situation demands.
- Able and committed to taking tasks to completion, yet knowing when to ask for help.
- Willingly taking our share of the less fun/glamorous work.
- Openly providing timely status of our work to raise awareness.
- Actively collaborating with others towards achieving our mission, even at the cost of losing some personal productivity.
- Learning and trying new things, even outside of our specialty.
- Improving ourselves and helping others improve, by providing and soliciting feedback.
- Supporting our colleagues by reminding each other of our strengths and celebrating contributions.
- Being respectful to everyone.
- Not reacting in the moment, validating that we have understood what was said, suspending judgment, examining our expectations, remembering our biases, giving the benefit of the doubt, and assuming that everyone (customers, co-workers, and partners) has the best intentions with their actions.
- Acknowledging harm caused, even if it was unintentional, opening a dialogue to rectify the situation, taking steps to avoid recurrence, and apologizing for any mistakes made.
- Communicating thoughts and feelings articulately, honestly, and timely, both online and offline, validating that others have understood things as we intended, especially when we disagree or don't understand something.
- Approaching change with an open attitude of learning and patience.
Several years ago, we moved to a new and very different type of organizational structure. We feel this structure helps us to avoid silos, facilitates working across time zones, and better supports our mission and values.
In today's fast-moving world, it's difficult to find a place of work where you truly feel valued. At Particular, I was finally able to find that place - a place where I can make an impact in challenging technical, as well as non-technical, activities. With the guidance of our core values, continuous learning, and our organizational principles as a compass for decision-making, I feel I can do my best work every day.Daniel - Switzerland - Solution Architect